Days 24 to 26

I added two missing days to my last post, so you may want to read those first.

Boulder to Atlantic City:

I don't have much to say about this day. 20 miles of pavement then 62 of dirt through some desert-like but scenic area.

Some friendly horses that came to the fence to be petted:

Back to the sagebrush:



Lunch break while filtering some water:

High on a windy ridge:


Atlantic City, where I spent the night at an RV campground:


Atlantic City to A&M Reservoir:

This day and the next were through one of the more remote areas of the route but water turned out not to be as much of an issue as I thought it might based on earlier research, possibly since the temperatures were quite reasonable when I went through. After the first 20 miles to Diagnus Well I had lunch there while filtering 6 liters to cover the next 60 miles. I ended up only drinking about 3.5. I had almost half a dozen vehicles, mostly ranchers, pass me throughout the day, so I wasn't totally alone out there.

Entering the Great Divide Basin:


It's always good to see others are on the route:


Diagnus Well visit:

Ugh, I have a really good video but it exceeds size limits for this site, so all you get is a picture of creative loading of some extra water.

Some thunderclouds that hovered 1-3 miles from me for about 3 hours:


Midpoint:

Foiled by size limits again. I took a celebratory video when I was exactly 63.5 miles from Atlantic City and the same distance from Rawlins.

Antelope:



I expected to be alone at my destination but instead was very happy to find a 15 or so person organized bike tour group from the Adventure Cycling Association.  They invited me to finish up some leftovers they had from dinner.


These tours are a great option for anyone who wants to do something like this but doesn't want to have to take care of everything themselves. Their group leaders take care of navigation for the day, all food/meal prep, arranging accommodations for each night, and providing help with any mechanical issues. They are pricey though, something like $7,500 for the 64 day Great Divide Route.

Evening view from my campsite:



A&M Reservoir to Rawlins:

The ACA group was up early and on the road about 30 minutes before me, except for one of their team leaders who was intentionally at the rear to support any stragglers in their group.

After only about 15 miles I hit pavement again but it was as far as I can tell un-used road. I spent 2.5 hours and 25 miles on it without seeing a single vehicle. The only folks I saw were two riders who were camped at A&M Reservoir with me the night before.


ACA group leader and Dave (dot on the right):


Rare full shot of myself:


Nearing the end of the deserted road and the much busier Wyoming hwy 287:


Along hwy 287:


Hitchhiker who rode with me the last 5 miles into Rawlins:


Color TV by RCA!!! Who can refuse a motel with amenities like that?  Besides, the ACA group had reserved all the tent sites at the KOA.


Artwork outside my motel:



Since I was done very early (by 2:30) I took the opportunity to hit a restaurant, shop for food, and get laundry done.  I have also been eating more or less constantly from then until now (8:45 pm) as I finish this post.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 18 to 23

Days 41 to 44

Days 27 to 30