Day 45 and 46
Day 45 - Grants to Grants:
Ugh. What started out as a wonderful ride slowly went bad.
I was up early and managed to be the first breakfast customer at Lottaburger before leaving town. I enjoyed a long, gradual climb on gravel roads through rock canyons for about the first 20 miles. After that I turned onto this road:
It was looking like a long walk out to the nearest paved highway (14 miles forward) and I started down that route planning to complete 4 miles before camping for the night, then the rest in the first few hours the next morning.
After about 30 minutes of walking I ran into a few guys out exploring the area in a 4-wheel atv. They were headed back to Grants and offered me a ride out. Since I didn't see any options for getting the supplies needed to set up both tires tubeless at any of the towns in the forward direction, I took them up on it. I ended up back in Grants checking into the Quality Inn around 9 P.M..
Day 46 - recovery day in Grants:
Grants is a small town with no bike shops and no car rentals. Although it has a Walmart, it did not have supplies for tubeless tires. What Grants does have is at least three u-haul rentals. I ended up renting a 10 ft long box truck, throwing my bike in the back, and driving 75 miles to a Trek store in Albuquerque. I had them replace the rear tire (which was getting bald) and set both wheels up tubeless. I also picked up 5 CO2 cartridges (all they had) and 6 bottles of sealant.
Tomorrow I head back out of Grants but will be taking the El Malpais Alternate instead of road C-42. Although I am confident my bike could now handle the goat heads, I have seen 80% of C-42 and may as well see something different. That will also allow me to get to Pie Town (yes, that is an actual town name) in one day rather than 1.5, minimizing the time lost.
Below is a shot of all the goat head stickers bits I pulled out of my tires before throwing in some new walmart tubes so that I could ride over to u-haul.


I am happy your tire situation has been resolved and you are on your way again. Thanks for the photos. Have fun!
ReplyDelete